Are you ready for another meal prep ready recipe?! I have you covered with this Korean Inspired Ground Beef Bowl! I first made this recipe a few months ago as part of an upcoming mix and match meal prep bowl post (side note: I still have a lot of work left to do on that post, it will be a hot minute before I share it!). Anyway, I fell in love with this meal prep bowl in particular and have made it part of my meal prep several times since then. You’ll want to try this one for sure!
Here’s what you see here, in clockwise order starting at the top left:
- Korean inspired ground beef – made with soy sauce, ginger, Korean red pepper powder (gochugaru), brown sugar, garlic, and oil.
- Roasted broccoli
- Carrots, shaved into ribbons
- Chipotle mayo (though you could use any other kind of spicy mayo or aioli you like)
- Green onions
Let’s talk a little bit about the Korean red pepper powder (gochugaru) used in the ground beef…this is a super flavorful dried pepper powder that’s not spicy at all. It can produce a tiny bit of heat, but it’s super gentle. Because of this, I actually used red pepper flakes as well to help bump up the heat. If you can help it, don’t skip the gochugaru though! It has kind of a fruity flavor with a hint of smoke and sweetness. Definitely a unique flavor that you will likely fall in love with. It also happens to be what makes kimchi red! Pick up some for yourself at most Asian grocery stores (assuming they have a Korean section or are majority Korean) or you can grab some online.
Here are some items I used to make this recipe a success. Note: these are Amazon Affiliate links.
Korean Inspired Ground Beef
- 1 lb 93/7 ground beef
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped and divided, (100 grams)
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce, (2 fl oz)
- 3 tbsp light or dark brown sugar, (45 grams)
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger, (15 grams)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, (15 grams)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil, (7 grams)
- 2 tsp red pepper powder/Gochugaru, (5 grams)
- 1 tsp sesame oil, (5 grams)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups broccoli florets, (370 grams)
- 1 pouch Ben's Original Ready Rice Long Grain White, (8.8 oz)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled into ribbons, (70 grams)
- Optional sauce: chipotle mayonnaise, (not included in nutrition info)
- Prepare the beef. Whisk soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, red pepper powder, and red pepper flakes together in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet until hot and shimmering. Add ground beef in chunks and cook, breaking apart with a spatula into small pieces until cooked through and no red remains.
- Add sauce and 1/2 of the green onions. Stir to coat the ground beef and simmer for another 1-2 minutes to let the sauce thicken slightly. Remove from heat and serve.
- Prepare the sides and assemble. Place broccoli florets in a microwave safe dish and cover with a very damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes or until broccoli is bright green and fork tender. Set aside.
- Prepare rice according to package instructions. Add to bottom of serving dish. Top with broccoli and beef. Add carrot ribbons and top with remaining green onions and any desired sauces, like chipotle mayonnaise.