***Photos and recipe updated May 14th, 2020***
If you saw my last post (4 Day Meal Prep), you know I’m loving these pitas because they’re so refreshing! This is a healthy chicken pita with a little bit of a Mediterranean flavor, but not too much. I usually find Mediterranean flavors to be a little bit overpowering, but maybe I just haven’t found the right dish yet. But for this, the earthy flavor of hummus plus the creaminess of the Greek yogurt mixed in with some fresh veggies and grilled chicken is a winner.
This is a really simple combination, but I think the key to bringing out the right flavor is actually the rosemary and lemon that I used on the chicken. It might have been even better with fresh rosemary, but I used the kind you get in the spice aisle.
Shop for this Recipe
Here are some items I used to make this recipe a success. Note: these are Amazon Affiliate links.
- 1 lb chicken breast, raw
- 4 Ezekial Prophet's Pocket Bread, (188 grams)
- 2/3 cup Sabra Roasted Red Pepper hummus, (149 grams)
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt, (85 grams)
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, diced, (320 grams)
- 1 small cucumber, chopped, (300 grams)
- 1 tsp olive oil, (4.5 grams)
- 1/2 tsp Oh My Spice! Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- Not required, but recommended: Follow my brine and air fryer chicken recipe for the juiciest possible chicken. When seasoning the chicken after rubbing with olive oil, skip the chile powder and use rosemary instead.
- If not brining and air frying the chicken, rub the raw chicken breast with olive oil, then season with salt, pepper, lemon pepper seasoning, and dried rosemary. Grill the chicken until cooked through (a little less than 5 minutes per chicken breast on the George Foreman). Cut the chicken into strips.
- Cut pocket breads in half. On each half, spread about hummus on one side and Greek yogurt on the other. Add cucumber, tomato and chicken. Serve immediately.