Hey hey, it’s Wednesday again! I know some of you guys are already dealing with wintery weather (hi, Denver!), but it’s still pretty toasty down here in Texas. So today I’m sharing the recipe for this can’t-stop-drinking-because-it’s-so-good Dairy-Free Peanut Butter Cold Brew Protein Shake. It can be really challenging to make dairy-free smoothies or shakes that have the flavor and texture we’ve all come to expect, but I definitely succeeded here!
I love, love, love the flavor of cold brew coffee (even better when it’s homemade!). Freezing it into cubes helps add that concentrated flavor to this shake without making things too liquidy/runny. If you’re a coffee and peanut butter lover like me, you’ve gotta try this one. Enjoy!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Here’s what you’ll need to make this DF Peanut Butter Protein Shake at home:
Cold brew coffee – Store bought or homemade cold brew will work great here. Once it’s brewed, pour it into a silicone ice cube tray and freeze it until solid – not only are these cold brew cubes needed in this recipe, they’re also great for using in iced coffee/cold brew if you don’t want it to get watered down by regular ice cubes.
Peanut butter – Whatever peanut butter you like to eat normally will work here. I prefer creamy (especially for in smoothies/shakes), but you do you, boo.
Protein powder – I used PE Science Select Peanut Butter Delight Vegan Protein Powder to keep this shake dairy free and boost the peanut butter flavor. There are a ton of dairy free/plant based protein powders on the market, and if you need a little help picking one, I’ve got you covered with this product review roundup. If you’re not dairy free, opt for a tasty whey protein that you like (bonus points if it’s peanut butter flavored!).
Milk – Use whatever milk or dairy-free alternative you like best!
Banana – Be sure to use a very ripe banana so it brings plenty of sweetness to the smoothie. Banana makes the smoothie ultra creamy, but the strong flavor of the cold brew mostly masks the banana flavor.
Shop for this Recipe
Here are some goodies to get you in the game to make this shake. Note: these are Amazon Affiliate links.
- 2/3 cup banana, sliced and frozen, (100 grams)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, (5.33 oz)
- 1/2 cup cold brew coffee concentrate, frozen into cubes, (4 oz)
- 1 scoop PE Science Select Peanut Butter Delight Vegan Protein Powder, (30 grams)
- 2 tbsp Skippy Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, melted, (32 grams)
- Add almond milk and protein powder to a high speed blender and pulse until smooth.
- Add frozen cold brew cubes, then frozen banana, then melted peanut butter to blender and blend until creamy. Divide into two serving glasses.
- Top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate before serving, if desired.