We made it to #CocktailFriday again! And what a week it’s been…the temperatures are finally cooling down, and last night there was a Harvest Moon. Which means this Autumn Gin & Tonic is about the most perfect drink for your pandemic happy hour tonight ;). It has easy-to-make-at-home apple and pear infused gin and (you guessed it) APPLE CIDER! Oh and bonus – it’s the same color as the Harvest Moon was last night!
I love the deeper flavors that this G&T brings to the party. You still have the same basic recipe: gin + juice/acid + tonic. But here, you’re replacing what would normally be citrus juice with apple cider, so the drink overall becomes less acidic and a little sweeter. Plus the infused gin pairs perfectly with the cider to create those fall flavors I was looking for.
With a drink like a G&T, you never want to forget the garnishes! Gin is aromatic naturally thanks to all the botanicals used to make it. When you sip, some fresh herbs (and in this case, a cinnamon stick and slice of dried apple too) really help bring out the full flavors of the drink. Not to mention that you drink with your eyes too!
- 8 oz Fever Tree Tonic Water
- 4 oz gin, (plus more for infusing)
- 3 oz apple cider
- 1 Macintosh or other red apple, sliced
- 1 red pear, sliced
- Add apple and pear slices to a 32 oz mason jar, then add enough gin to cover the fruit, about 10 oz. Note that you'll only need 2 oz of infused gin per serving.
- Allow the gin to rest for 7 days in a cool, dark spot. Strain fruit from the gin and return to a clean mason jar for storing any that you don't drink right away.
- Add ice to 2 lowball glasses, then divide ingredients evenly between the glasses. Garnish with dried apple, cinnamon stick, and fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme.