It’s Air Fryer Week Day 5, and I’m coming at ya with this Air Fryer Potatoes with Garlic Herb Butter recipe that’s so easy and delicious you’ll want to make it again and again! I love these potatoes because they’re air fried to crispy, golden brown perfection on the outside while the inside is still fluffy and tender. And the best part? No parboiling! The second best part? You also get perfectly roasted garlic right from the air fryer with almost zero effort.
How to Nail the Garlic Herb Butter
The garlic herb butter is ridiculously simple but incredibly flavorful and delicious. First, you’re going to roast a whole head of garlic in the same basket as you air fry the potatoes. To do this, just cut the top off a head of garlic, drizzle with olive oil to ensure all the cut sides are coated, then wrap it up in foil. Tuck it into the corner of the air fryer basket, cut side of the garlic facing up.
When you go to shake the air fryer basket to toss the potatoes, I recommend removing the garlic using tongs to avoid the foil scratching the non-stick surface of your air fryer. Once the garlic is done roasting (same timeline as the potatoes), carefully squeeze 4-5 cloves out.
Meanwhile, add a few tablespoons of butter along with freshly chopped thyme and rosemary to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30-45 seconds or until the butter is completely melted. Add in the roasted garlic cloves and mash with the back of a fork to incorporate it as best you can into the butter. That’s it! Now you’re ready to drizzle it over the potatoes.
Tips for Getting Crispy, Golden Air Fried Potatoes
- Give them a bath. A quick soak in cold, salted water will help remove excess starch from the surface of the potatoes. This prevents them from getting a gummy texture on the surface when cooked and allows them to really crisp up on the outside.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. As is true for any air fried foods, you want to avoid piling too much into the air fryer basket or you’ll risk steaming the potatoes since they won’t have enough space for hot air to circulate around each potato piece.
- Toss them around. At least once or twice during cooking, remove the head of garlic and give the air fryer basket a good shake to mix up the potatoes. This will help ensure even browning and crisping. And no need to be gentle about it – they’re potatoes and they’ll survive 🙂 Try to get them back into a single layer before continuing to cook (and don’t forget to return the garlic to the basket!).
Ingredients and Substitutions
Here’s what you’ll need to recreate these Air Fryer Potatoes with Garlic Herb Butter at home!
- Potatoes – I really like the flavor and texture of baby Yukon gold potatoes or baby red potatoes for this recipe. If you want to use full size potatoes, be sure to cut them up into about 1″ chunks and keep an eye on them for the last few minutes of cooking so the edges don’t burn.
- Garlic – We’re making ridiculously easy roasted whole garlic right in the air fryer, but if you’re in a pinch, you could just mix some of the jarred pre-minced garlic into the hot butter instead.
- Butter – Don’t be shy about the butter drizzle! I used an unsalted version since the potatoes are well seasoned already, but either salted or unsalted will work.
- Fresh herbs – I used a bit of thyme and chopped rosemary in mine to keep things simple and bright, but I could see sage getting thrown into the mix too. I highly, highly recommend using fresh herbs here, but if you insist on using dried, cut the amounts in half so they don’t totally overpower the potatoes.
- Olive oil – You’ll need a bit of oil to coat the potatoes and help with the browning process in the air fryer. Other oils of your choice would work here too.
- Seasoning – I went with a mix of garlic lovers seasoning, salt, black pepper, and oregano in my recipe, but you can definitely play with this flavor profile if you’d like.
Shop for this Recipe
- 2 lbs baby gold potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Flavor God Garlic Lover's Seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
Garlic Herb Butter
- 1 small head of garlic for roasting
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Cut potatoes. Wash potatoes, then halve them. Some of the larger ones may need to be quartered or cut into thirds to get all the pieces about the same size. Place the cut potatoes into a bowl of cold water and set aside.
- Prepare garlic for roasting. Cut the top off the head of garlic to expose the cloves inside. Place on top of a piece of foil and drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil. Wrap the foil around the garlic head loosely. Set aside.
- Prepare potatoes. Drain the potatoes in a colander, and rinse with cold water. Allow excess water to drip off, then pat the potatoes dry with a paper towel. Be sure to get them as dry as possible.Toss potatoes with 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper, Flavor God seasoning, and oregano. Set aside.
- Air fry. Pre-heat the air fryer to 400°F. Add the foil wrapped garlic head (cut side up) to the corner of the air fryer, then add the potatoes in a single layer. You may need to do this in more than 1 batch so you don't overcrowd the air fryer.Air fry for 10 minutes, then remove the garlic to toss the potatoes. Return the garlic to the air fryer and continue cooking for another 8-10 minutes, checking around 7 minutes to ensure the potatoes do not burn.
- Prepare garlic herb butter. Add the butter, thyme, and rosemary to a microwave safe bowl. Cover with a paper towel and microwave for 30-45 seconds or until the butter is completely melted.Carefully remove the garlic head from the foil and squeeze 4-5 cloves into the butter and herb mixture. Using the back of a fork, mash the garlic cloves into the butter and herbs until completely combined.
- Serve. Drizzle the garlic herb butter over the potatoes before serving.