Time for new recipe Wednesday! This is actually an update of an old recipe, but this Rosemary Lemon Chicken Thigh and Sweet Potato Skillet is a truly delicious dinner that deserves the spotlight of a recipe redo. One of the best parts about it? It comes together sooo easily. Perfect for a weeknight dinner! The chicken stays perfectly juicy and retains a ton of flavor because the skin essentially bastes the chicken while cooking. PLUS, all the juices combine to practically caramelize the sweet potatoes with a totally unique flavor that’s partly tangy, partly sweet, and totally delicious.
I really like using these baby sweet potatoes here instead of chopping up the big ol’ regular size ones. Especially when you slice them thick, have the skin protecting the outer edges of the potato slices really helps them hold their shape even as they roast in all those yummy juices.
As for the lemons, these are Meyer lemons! I love them because they’re so juicy and less acidic than regular lemons. Have you ever tried them??
Look at that golden brown deliciousness <3
Here are some items I used to make this recipe a success. Note: these are Amazon Affiliate links.
- 5 ea chicken thighs (bone in and skin on), (1371 grams)
- 5 petite sweet potatoes, sliced thick, (568 grams)
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped + 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp FlavorGod Lemon & Garlic Seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Mix 1/2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp chopped rosemary, Flavor God seasoning, garlic and lemon juice. Toss about 2/3 of mix with chicken in a large bowl, then remove the chicken, add sweet potatoes and remainder of mix and toss until evenly coated.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil in oven safe skillet.
- Add chicken, skin side down and cook until browned, about 3-4 minutes. Set the chicken aside on a plate.
- Add sweet potatoes to the bottom of the skillet in a single layer, then add chicken on top, skin side up. Move skillet to the oven. Cook for 20 minutes, then flip the potato slices and add lemon slices and rosemary sprigs
- Return the skillet to the oven and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.