Hey guys! Time for the August edition of Workout Wednesday. I’m focusing on rebuilding my booty this month (see why here), so it’s only fitting that I highlight a glute-focused workout. Don’t worry, your hamstrings are going to get some love here too. Matter of fact, your quads will have to come out to play as well. It’s for the best, ya know?
Anywho, deadlifts are my favorite, so I hope you enjoy this workout as much as I do!
- There’s only one major lift in this workout (the deadlift), so you should be able to really hit that lift hard while still being able to nail the other exercises.
- It’s best if you really take the time to warmup before a big lift like the deadlift, which means that this workout won’t be particularly quick.
- Finding the straps for cable kickbacks at the gym can be annoying depending on how well equipped your gym is, so spend the extra $10-15 and get your own set to stash in your gym bag. Same goes for the resistance bands.
Time needed: approx. 1 hour, plus 10-15 minutes of warmup time
- For the warmup: stationary bike or treadmill, lacrosse ball, foam roller, resistance bands
- Barbell and plates
- Bench or box (for box jumps)
- Kettlebells and/or dumbbells
The Warm Up:
- 5-10 minutes on the stationary bike or brisk walk on the treadmill
- Use a lacrosse ball to roll out your hips/psoas – this sequence is great, but there are lots of others to pick from! I typically add some shoulder work here too.
- Foam roll sequence
- Kelly Starrett hip mobility sequence – the quality of this video is not great but these moves are really helpful for getting your hips loosened up and ready to work.
- Resistance band side steps
- Resistance band glute bridges
- Romanian deadlift – 4 sets of 8-10, plus 1-2 sets at low weight for warmup
- Kettlebell sumo squat – 3 sets of 8-10
- Cable kickbacks – 4 sets of 8-10 per leg
- Box jumps – 4 sets of 12-15
- Weighted walking lunges – 3 sets of 10 steps per leg
Don’t forget to cool down and stretch out when you’re done!
Here are those warm-up/mobility videos for easy access:
Leave a Comment