I hope you’re all surviving the return to work/school and the freeeeeeezing cold temps in the US this week! It was 25 degrees when I woke up yesterday. In south Texas. Crazy.
The silver lining to the cold weather is that it calls for something warm and comforting to eat. Luckily you can stick this Thai Chicken in your slow cooker all day and come home to something that’s warm, comforting, and healthy. I love putting chicken in the slow cooker…it comes out so tender that it just falls apart and that is just the right kind of chicken to go with this butternut squash sauce.
The cool thing about using butternut squash here is that it doubles as your veggies and your sauce. You can add more coconut milk or some chicken stock to make it more liquid and curry- or soup-like. Totally up to you! You can also adjust the curry to your tastes…the amount that I used gives you a pretty mild spice level so still room to amp it up.
I’ve been kind of obsessed with the little sweet peppers in recipes lately. A lot of people snack on them, but I like to cut them up into rings and toss them in other stuff. They’re nice and mild, so I like them better than bell peppers which tend to add a lot of pepper flavor to dishes. I think they can overpower the other flavors in dishes, so these mini peppers are perfect to add a pop of color, a little bit of flavor, and more healthy veggies!
Scan this barcode to log the nutrition info for this recipe directly into My Fitness Pal!
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
- 6 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup sweet peppers, sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 13.5 oz can light coconut milk
- 1 cup brown jasmine rice, cooked according to package directions
- 2 limes juiced
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Thai basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- Add onion and chicken to the bottom of a slow cooker. Top with butternut squash.
- Mix coconut milk, lime juice, red curry paste, garlic, coconut sugar, ginger paste, and fish sauce. Pour over top of butternut squash.
- Set slow cooker on low for 6 1/2 hours.
- Once slow cooker is done, remove chicken and pour butternut squash and sauce into a large blender or food processor, leaving a top vent open to release steam. Blend just until smooth, then return to slow cooker.
- Shred chicken with two forks and return to slow cooker. Add zucchini, sweet peppers, and Thai basil and return to low heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve butternut squash and chicken mixture with rice.