In the mood for something sweet? Go for it! You don’t have to break your diet to do it. I have to eat something sweet everyday no matter how clean I’m trying to eat…so, rather than deny myself and continue to crave something sweet, I go for something small and lightened up, like a Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Cup 🙂 Then I don’t feel like I HAVE to have that giant piece of someone’s birthday cake.
If I’m home and I’m hungry and wanting something sweet, mug cakes are my go to. Super easy, fast, and you can make them as healthy as you want.
I really couldn’t tell you where I got the idea that I should make a German chocolate mug cake…having coconut in my chocolate usually isn’t my jam. But I have to say, this was pretty tasty!
Now, after the idea popped into my head to make this flavor, I actually had to figure out what makes a German chocolate cake different from every other chocolate cake. Turns out it’s all about the frosting. And the layers…which is totally fine by me since that means more frosting to go with my cake.
I knew what the cake was supposed to taste like since my mom used to make this, but did you know the frosting has pecans in it? I had no clue. The real stuff also has lots of sugar and condensed milk. So, I cut the crap out of it and came up with this! If you want to lighten it up more, you could use unsweetened coconut flakes. Enjoy!
German Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 tbsp quick oats
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 packet Truvia
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp light vanilla yogurt (I used Activia)
- 2 tbsp sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp pecans finely chopped or ground
- 1 packet Truvia
- 1/4 tsp caramel extract
- In a small bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine all mug cake ingredients.
- Spray the inside of a large mug with non-stick cooking spray. Pour cake mixture into the mug and microwave on high for 2 minutes and 15 seconds.
- Remove the cake from the mug and allow to cool for about a minute. Cut the cake into two layers and frost between layers and on top. Serve immediately.
Leave a Comment