Happy Monday, meal preppers! This week I’m coming at ya with a yummy morning meal prep idea: Breakfast Sausage Bowls. I’ve only recently discovered the awesomeness of making soft-scrambled eggs. They are a bit more time consuming than your average scrambled eggs, but I gotta tell you – they’re worth it! The creaminess and flavor you get out of them compared to just flopping some eggs around in the pan to get them cooked quickly? Amazing.
The great thing about these bowls (aside from the super yummy eggs) is that they are a base for whatever other add-ins you like. Want lots of veggies? Add lots of veggies. Cheese? Add cheese. No cheese? Don’t add cheese. You could even swap out the hash browns for sautéed kale or spinach for a lower carb option.
Here are some ideas for toppings:
- Fresh chives (HIGHLY recommend these!)
- Red onion
- Black beans
- Hot sauce
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Sautéed peppers and onions
- Sautéed or grilled zucchini
Shop for this Recipe
Here are some items I used to help make this recipe a success. Note: these are Amazon Affiliate links.
Breakfast Sausage Bowls Recipe
- avocado, sliced
- fresh herbs, such as parsley, cilantro, or chives
- sautéed veggies, like peppers and onions
- black beans
- plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- Cook sausage and hash browns according to package directions. Add any additional seasoning to the hash browns that you prefer, like Italian herbs. Once cooked, add to serving bowls or meal prep containers.
Soft Scrambled Eggs
- Add eggs and egg whites into a cold skillet. Add butter, place on stove burner, and turn heat to medium-low.
- Using a soft spatula (rubber or silicone works best), break the yolks and ensure the eggs are mixed together.
- Keep the eggs moving continuously using broad sweeping motions, pushing eggs all the way around the circumference of the skillet, then across the bottom. Continue to push eggs around and across skillet until fluffy and barely set, about 4-5 minutes; they should still look soft and a little runny. Season with salt and pepper in the last minute of cooking.
- Remove from heat and add to serving dish.
- Top with fresh chives and any other desired toppings.