Sunday morning breakfasts are my favorite…I usually have time to make something delicious and filled with complex carbs to get me ready for leg day at the gym 🙂 Even though I’m not expecting my leg day to be particularly awesome due to just coming back from 10 days of vacation immediately followed by 3 days of being pretty sick. Enough about me though…let’s talk about breakfast.
I made my French toast cups in these silicone jumbo muffin molds, but you can just as easily use a regular muffin tin. The French toast cups will bake faster in the muffin tin, so if you’re trying to get breakfast on the table more quickly, just go for the muffin tin. The end result will be a little crispier too, if that’s what you’re into.
I topped off my French toast cups with the yummy apple syrup that you see in the recipe but you can use just regular maple syrup to save time. Don’t skip on the Greek yogurt frosting though! Or maybe just replace it with some ice cream…it’s all up to you but I’m just saying…
And in case you were wondering – yes, you can totally use these as part of your meal prep! Just keep the syrup and Greek yogurt frosting in separate little containers like these until you’re ready to re-heat and eat. I’ve got the leftovers in my refrigerator right now for tomorrow’s breakfast. Yum 😛
Pumpkin Apple Protein French Toast Cups
- 3 slices Dave's Killer Whole Wheat Bread ,cut into 1-inch squares (try Udi's Gluten Free bread to make the recipe GF)
- 1/2 scoop Cellucor Cinnamon Swirl Whey Protein
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 medium apple ,peeled and cored
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 3 tbsp Muscle Pharm Combat 100% Casein Vanilla
- Whisk eggs, almond milk, protein powder, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin puree until smooth.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or arrange 3 jumbo muffin cups on a baking sheet.
- Gently dunk bread chunks into egg mixture, completely coating all of the bread. Let bread soak in egg mixture for about 10 minutes, it should absorb almost all of the egg mixture.
- Place a layer of bread in the bottom of the muffin cups, then add some apple chunks on top. Layer more bread on top of apples and pour any remaining egg mixture on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes (increase to 23-25 minutes if using jumbo muffin cups).
- While French toast cups are baking, add remaining apple chunks and maple syrup to a small pan. Add some ground cinnamon if desired. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then lower heat to a simmer for 5-10 minutes until apples are tender.
- Pour apple syrup over French toast cups. Mix Greek yogurt and casein protein powder until smooth, then add on top of French toast cups before serving.
For anyone who’s on the fence about buying my eBook The Art of Meal Prep, check this out – you can now find it on the iBooks Store! It’s super easy to give as a gift this holiday season and you (and your friends/family) get the best reading experience possible.