This week I was feeling lazy about meal prep so I decided to toss a bunch of my favorite genre of food (Southwestern!) into the crockpot and stew it into some tender deliciousness. This chicken is bursting with flavor and has just the right spiciness, but it’s still clean and barely over 200 calories per serving! Yum!
The cilantro lime dressing on top of this is super easy to make and adds a fresh and tangy accent that contrasts really well with the richness of the chicken and beans. I actually ended up cooking mine in the slow cooker for 2 hours on low and 1 hour on high because I was too hungry to wait for the slow cook. It still worked!
As I was making this I realized it’s almost exactly the same as the Slow Cooker Chicken and Black Bean Lettuce Wraps I made a while back…except that this time I did the layering of the ingredients better. And I made the awesome cilantro lime dressing for this. And it’s easier to eat with a fork…
I tossed some spices on the chicken first. And then the beans, corn and salsa last to seal it all in…
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Salad with Tangy Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 16 oz chicken breast
- 16 oz jar of salsa (I used Newman's Own Mild)
- 15 oz can low-sodium black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce hearts
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 clove garlic
- Dash salt
- Arrange chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker. Sprinkle chili powder and oregano on top of chicken breasts. Then layer minced garlic, corn, black beans and salsa on top of chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours (or high for 2 hours). Once cooked, carefully remove chicken breasts and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and mix.
- In a food processor or Nutribullet, blend all dressing ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- Place a layer of chopped lettuce in the bottom of a bowl and top with shredded chicken mixture. Top with cilantro lime dressing and chopped green onions.
If you saw my last meal prep post, you know I was trying out eating 5 smaller meals a day rather than 3 with plenty of snacks. Turns out that I hated it. Maybe I just really like to snack rather than force myself to eat lots of meat and veggies. Maybe I did it wrong. Either way – I’m over it. This salad, though – not over it 🙂 Enjoy!