Hey PBF’ers! Welcome back from all the Christmas festivities! I hope you all enjoyed some time with family and friends and enjoyed some delicious food. If you’re anything like me, you probably overindulged and are feeling a bit fluffy right now. That’s okay…no need to hop on a juice cleanse fad diet, I promise. Let’s just get back to eating food to fuel our bodies, like this Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup.
I love a soup that’s packed with protein and veggies so it fills me up and leaves me feeling satisfied. It seems like so many soups are just a lot of broth (like many chicken noodles) or a lot of fat (like many bisques and creamy soups), and they leave you wanting something more. Instead, I’d rather make my soup a full meal, especially in this cold weather!
Enjoy warming up and getting back on track with this easy slow cooker classic.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 1 1/4 lb raw chicken breast
- 2/3 cup Lundberg Organic Wild Rice Blend (270 grams)
- 10 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 10 oz frozen, chopped spinach thawed and excess water squeezed out with a paper towel
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped (150 grams)
- 1 cup celery, sliced (180 grams)
- 1 cup carrot, sliced (165 grams)
- 32 oz no salt added chicken stock
- 11 oz HEB Organics Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup
- 4 oz dry white wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp Flavor God Garlic Lover’s Seasoning
- 1 tsp Flavor God Everything Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp Oh My Spice! Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
Add chicken to the bottom of a slow cooker and season with Flavor God seasonings, thyme, ground mustard, salt, and pepper. Add bay leaves.
Top chicken with minced garlic, onion, celery, and carrots. Pour chicken stock and condensed soup over vegetables.
Cook on low for 5 1/2 hours. Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks, then return to slow cooker.
Add wild rice to slow cooker and turn heat to high for 1 hr or until rice is cooked al dente.
During the final 5-10 minutes of cooking, add spinach. Then, heat a skillet over medium high heat and add butter. Add mushrooms, season with Lemon Pepper seasoning and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add white wine and continue to sauté for 3-4 more minutes until mushrooms are softened. Add to slow cooker.
Serve soup with fresh parsley and lemon juice, if desired.