Time for a new recipe Tuesday! This week I’m sharing a really quick and easy side dish recipe that’ll have coming back for more – Roasted Delicata Squash with Cheese. If you’ve never tried it before, delicata squash is a winter squash that’s sweet and mild flavored. Perfect for roasting up with your weekly meal prep!
Before this fall, I had never really given delicata squash a chance in my kitchen, nor had I really seen it around much. But this year I finally broke down and bought some when I couldn’t find my usual butternut squash in my local grocery store and man! My life has changed 😉 I love that it requires very little prep – no peeling and very little seed scooping. The skin is delicate like the name suggests, so once it’s roasted you just eat it right along with the sweet yellow flesh. I love this recipe because it’s so simple and there are endless ways to customize it to your tastes. So don’t sleep on this pretty squash!
Ingredients and Substitutions
This recipe is suuuuper simple – you just need a few ingredients to make delicious roasted delicata squash!
Delicata Squash – As the star of the (side) dish, I’d say this is the one thing you shouldn’t substitute, but hey…in a pinch another squash like acorn or butternut might work out. I can’t make any promises though!
Italian Cheese Blend – I used a blend of Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino Romano, which is available in the cheese section of my local Wegmans. Of course you could always use parmesan if that’s what you have on hand, but I personally really love the salty, umami quality you get from the other two. Of the two, Pecorino Romano is made from sheep’s milk and is saltier and tangy, whereas Parmigiano Reggiano is made from cow’s milk and is nutty and a bit milder overall. The umami of these two together makes them shine against the mild sweetness of the squash and ensures you can’t miss that cheesy flavor!
Olive Oil – Helps ensure you get a nice roast on the squash, but also helps the cheese and spices stick to the squash. Any mild tasting oil will work here.
Oh My Spice! Lemon Pepper Dill Seasoning – I personally love this blend for just about every savory dish I cook, but you could use any lemon pepper or even mixed garlic seasoning here. Go with what you like!
Salt and pepper – the basics. They really help enhance the overall flavor of the dish.
Shop for this Recipe
Here are some items I used to make this recipe a success. Note: these are Amazon Affiliate links.
- 2 medium delicata squash, ends trimmed and seeds removed, (900 grams)
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino Romano cheese blend, (26 grams)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Oh My Spice! Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- Optional: fresh parsley for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Slice the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Slice the squash halves into 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick slices (half moon shape).
- Add squash to a large bowl, then add olive oil, cheese, and seasoning, tossing to coat the squash evenly. You may need to press the squash into the cheese to help it stick.
- Arrange sliced squash in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes until squash is golden brown. Top with fresh chopped parsley before serving, if desired.