Pancaaaaaake Sunday! My favorite 🙂 Since it’s summer, I figured I should make something nice and summery – light and refreshing flavors, a hint of citrus and some fresh berries. I’ve always been a little skeptical of combining my blueberries with anything lemony – I never wanted to risk ruining the flavor of my precious blueberries. But today I decided to give it a shot and see why everyone else seems to think lemons and blueberries should go together.
Anyways…I was pleasantly surprised with the result here! I was careful not to add too much lemon so I wouldn’t overpower the pancakes. Overall, I’d say this was quite an enjoyable combo for a summer morning 🙂 I used lemon extract in the topping and a tiny bit in the pancakes, plus a little bit of lemon zest in the pancake mix and some sprinkled on top. It was just enough. Oh, and I didn’t add all of the topping for the pictures…didn’t want to drown the pretty pancakes for their photo shoot! You get way more for the nutrition listed.
Of course I added lots of protein in the mix here too! 48 grams stuffed into this delicious stack, plus 9 grams of fiber. The coconut flour really ups the fiber game in these. If you don’t have cottage cheese for the topping, just use some fat free cream cheese – that will give it a more “real” cream cheese flavor. I just don’t have any and it would go to waste if I bought some. So I improvise…and it works just fine 🙂
Blueberry Protein Pancakes with Lemony Cream Cheese Topping
- 3 tbsp Dannon Light and Fit non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp fat free cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tbsp Cellucor Whipped Vanilla whey protein
- 1 packet Truvia
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- Optional: lemon zest
- In a food processor or Nutribullet, process the topping ingredients until smooth. If using a Nutribullet, blend the cottage cheese and almond milk first, then add the rest and blend. Set aside.
- In a food processor or Nutribullet, mill the oats until they form a fine powder.
- Mix all pancake ingredients until smooth. Fold in blueberries.
- Heat a large griddle or non-stick pan over medium heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray (I like the coconut oil kinand spoon pancake mixture onto griddle to form 3-4 pancakes. Cook until the top begins to bubble, then flip and cook through.
- Top with cottage cheese mixture and serve.