Every time I eat Mexican food – to include tacos, burritos, or really anything where you get a choice of meat – I always pick carnitas. There’s just something about that crispy pork that is just so damn delicious. Add in some other fresh ingredients, cilantro and lime and I’m drooling everywhere 🙂 So I decided it was time to make a healthy version at home. Instead of the more traditional pork shoulder, I used a leaner, healthier pork tenderloin.
This is a fun, fresh slaw that has a guilt-free sauce thanks to some light coconut milk and sriracha sauce. Pineapples go really well with pork, so it seemed natural for my slaw to include some juicy pineapples!
I was originally going to make my own chipotle sauce to toss in the slow cooker with the pork loin, but then I saw this in the store and had to try it. I think the flavor was really good, not too sweet or too spicy. I did a little spice rub on the pork and browned it up a bit before putting it in the slow cooker with the sauce. My pork progression pictures are included below the recipe 🙂
After pulling the pork out of the slow cooker and shredding it with a couple of forks, I just spread it out on a baking sheet and broiled it until the edges got browned up and crispy! Yum.
Slow Cooker Carnitas Bowl with Pineapple Broccoli Slaw
Servings: 5 • Calories: 380 • Fat: 13 g • Protein: 30 g • Carbs: 37 g • Fiber: 6 g • Sugar: 5 g • Sodium: 398 mg • Cholesterol: 75 mg
- 1 1/4 lbs pork loin
- 3/4 packet Frontera Garlicky Carnitas Slow Cook Sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Flavor God Spicy Everything seasoning
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- Remove any excess fat from pork loin. On a plate or large flat bottomed bowl, combine brown sugar blend, black pepper, Flavor God seasoning, chili powder and paprika. Roll pork loin in spices until coated evenly.
- Add Carnitas Slow Cook Sauce and 3/4 cup water to slow cooker.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add pork loin and lightly brown on all sides, about 1 minute per side. Place in slow cooker with sauce and spoon sauce over pork loin. Cook on low for about 3 hours or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- While pork is cooking, mix all pineapple broccoli slaw ingredients until evenly coated and set aside in refrigerator.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, then mix with lime juice and cilantro.
- Once pork is cooked, removed from slow cooker and allow to rest for 3 minutes. Shred with two forks and broil on high for 5-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown and crisp.
- Layer quinoa, black beans and pineapple broccoli slaw in a bowl. Top with pork and serve.
Raw pork with spice rub…
Slightly browned pork – this helps keep the moisture in while it’s slow cooking.
I turned the pork about once an hour to keep the juices on it.