We may be nearing the end of summer, but let’s be real – ice cream is good all year round. It’s just so delicious. Butttt if you’re like me, dairy may not be one of your best friends. I still have a little bit here and there (mostly to taste test new recipes or products for the blog!), but for the most part I try to stay away to avoid the bloating and whatnot that comes with it.
Here’s a huge disclaimer about dairy free ice cream though…most of them have a ton of additives and fillers that cause just as much irritation and bloating as regular ice cream. Stuff like tapioca syrup, gums and flours, added fibers like chicory root or corn fiber, etc. So if you can eat real ice cream, go for it! And if you’re dairy free, just proceed with caution. I definitely don’t recommend eating a whole pint of this stuff at a time. Trust me.
Another thing that you’ll notice about these dairy free ice creams is that the calorie content for the same size serving varies drastically. For example, the winner has 190 calories in a 2/3 cup serving, but the runner-up has 320 calories in a 2/3 cup serving. If that’s a big concern for you, you’ll want to pay close attention there.
Here’s how this Quest for the Best series works: Below each brand photo you’ll see a little spreadsheet snippet that includes my rating of taste/texture, plus the macro breakdown, price, and ingredients list. You can click on the little snippets to see them larger or you can click here to see the entire spreadsheet at once.
This is the rundown of different colors you’ll see in the macro charts below:
- Yellow (on the macro ratio) indicates carb content.
- Blue (on the macro ratio) indicates protein content.
- Green (on the macro ratio) indicates fat content.
***Click the link above or any of the spreadsheet snippets below to view the full spreadsheet or zoomed in versions of each snippet.***
1.Nada Moo Dairy-Free Frozen Dessert – The Rockiest Road
2. Luna & Larry’s Coconut Bliss Dairy Free Frozen Dessert – Chocolate Peanut Butter
3. SO Delicious Oatmilk Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert – Peanut Butter & Raspberry
4. Cado Avocado Frozen Dessert – Deep Dark Chocolate
5. Van Leeuwen Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert – Chocolate
6. Ben & Jerry’s Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert – Chocolate Fudge Brownie
7. Planet Oat Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert – Chocolate Peanut Butter
8. Archer Farms Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert – Peanut Butter & Chocolate
9. Halo Top Dairy Free Frozen Dessert
10. SO Delicious Cashewmilk Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert – Dark Chocolate Truffle
11. Oatly! Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert – Chocolate
12. Arctic Zero Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
13. SorBabes Plant Based Sorbet – Cocoa Haze
Here’s the link to that full spreadsheet again:
Note: I was not provided any compensation to endorse these products. I received free samples from one brand in this post (Arctic Zero), but the views expressed here are my own.