St. Patrick’s Day is coming! Even though most of the parades happened yesterday, there’s still plenty of green to be had…green beer, green hats, and of course, green dessert! This year I decided I wanted to go au naturel with my St. Paddy’s dessert…there’s no food coloring in these little green pies. Just real foods and all that green comes from mint leaves and avocado!
I left the tiniest specks of mint in my grasshopper pie, but you could get it completely smooth with a good blender or strainer. For the crust, you can pack it as tightly as you want or leave it a little loose so it’s easier to dig out with your spoon. And if you don’t have protein powder or simply don’t want to use it, I’d recommend using whole fat coconut milk and an extra half of an avocado instead.
Don’t forget the coconut “whipped cream” on top! It brings the whole thing together with a bit of decadence.
- 1 small Haas avocado, skin and seed removed
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 2 scoops vanilla grass fed casein protein
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, packed
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp dutch cocoa
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
Coconut Milk Whip
- 6 tbsp chilled coconut milk, solids only
- 1 tbsp honey
- Using a NutriBullet or food processor, mill together the pecans, dutch cocoa, coconut flakes and salt until it becomes a fine flour that clumps easily when pinched between your fingers. Add to bottom of 6 serving glasses.
- Blend avocado, coconut milk and mint until smooth. Add casein protein powder and again blend until smooth. Add honey last and adjust to taste. If desired, add a few drops of natural green food color and additional peppermint extract to taste. Layer on top of crust in the serving glasses.
- Whisk coconut milk solids and honey until smooth. Spoon into a piping bag and pipe onto each pie before serving. Add additional mint leaves and chocolate shavings if desired.
Tips & Tricks
- If you are unable to find grass fed vanilla casein, you can use plain casein and add extra honey OR use vanilla whey and use an extra 1/2 scoop to closer match the consistency shown here.
- If you want to skip the protein powder all together, use full fat coconut milk and an extra half of an avocado instead.
- Since the pie contains avocado, it’s prettiest when served the day it’s made but tastes just as delicious for 4-5 days after being made and stored in the refrigerator.
These little tulip jelly jars were the perfect size for the grasshopper pie!