***Updated September 15th, 2019***Jump to Recipe
You may be asking yourself – why is this burrito bowl a Miami burrito bowl? Why not a Pittsburgh burrito bowl? Well…because it reminds me of Miami and because I can. There’s this great little place that set up in my neighborhood about a year before I left Miami called My Ceviche that had these awesome burrito bowls for those of us who didn’t want to eat a huge bowl of fish cooked in lime juice (I like ceviche in small portions like appetizers, just not for a meal).
Anyways, you can get the burrito bowls with quinoa and the thing I always really liked about them was the little pickled red onions mixed in. They’re the perfect bite of tangy sweetness amongst the rich, fresh flavors of the other ingredients. Plus they had an amazing jalapeño lime mayo to top it all off – I was going to attempt to recreate that part too but forgot the jalapeño at the store :/ So I went with Greek yogurt and lime juice and it was delicious anyways! Oh and the adobo citrus marinade…it’s a little spicy but still fresh and citrusy. Yum.
For the pickled red onions, I figured “how hard could it be to find a jar of pickled red onions?” Turns out it’s next to impossible. Even Amazon doesn’t have anything reasonable. So I made them myself. If you can’t find them in the store or just want to make pickled red onions on the cheap, my recipe is at the bottom 🙂
Miami Chicken Burrito Bowl with Cilantro Lime Quinoa
- 16 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup dry tri-color quinoa (90 grams)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (150 grams)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (120 grams)
- 1/4 cup pickled red onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro divided
- Juice of 2 limes divided
- 2 cups shredded lettuce (80 grams)
- 5 tbsp plain non-fat Greek yogurt (2.5 oz)
Adobo Citrus Marinade:
- 3.5 oz San Marcos chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Mix marinade ingredients and pour over chicken in a Ziploc bag. Marinate for at least 2 hours in refrigerator.
- In a small bowl, mix Greek yogurt and juice from 1/2 of a lime. Set aside in refrigerator.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Mix in remaining lime juice and 2 tbsp chopped cilantro. Set aside.
- While quinoa is cooking, grill chicken breast until cooked through (mine took about 10 minutes at 375 degrees on my George Foreman).
Layer quinoa, lettuce, tomatoes, corn, pickled red onion, remaining cilantro and chicken in a bowl. Top with lime/yogurt dressing and serve. Add avocado if desired (not included in nutrition info).
Pickled Red Onions:
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, cut from stem to stem, then sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Truvia baking blend
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Directions: Bring water almost to a boil, then mix in sugar and salt. Add apple cider vinegar and pour over sliced onions in a resealable jar. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving.