Hey everybody, I am back! Sort of. I still don’t have furniture and I have hardly any kitchen supplies, which is killing me and making it very hard to cook fun things that are worth sharing. I am also starting to feel the effects of sleeping on an air mattress and it does not feel good 🙁 Lots of kinks in my neck, shoulders and back. Oy. Anyways, I got into San Francisco over a week ago and I’m loving it so far. It’s like a whole new world compared to South Florida 🙂
And speaking of world, the US plays Belgium in the World Cup today! Go America #1. And of course, Friday is the 4th of July! Go America #2. So what’s more appropriate than an American flag bandana and America themed mug cake? Maybe some American beer to go with it, but I’ll save that for the game later.
This would have been perfectly easy if I had more than one mug in my possession right now, but I’m still just using the one that I carried all the way from Miami. So instead of using two mugs to cook the two layers at the same time, I just re-used one mug. I cut down the cooking time to about 1 minute and 30 seconds to accommodate only one mug in the microwave at a time.
This cake is so American – vanilla cakes, frosting and some berries. And sprinkles 🙂 Yummy.
'Merica Mug Cake
- 2 tbsp quick oats
- 3 tsp Jay Robb's vanilla whey protein
- 1 packet Truvia
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp McCormick Vanilla Butter and Nut flavoring
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 medium strawberry sliced
- 1 tbsp blueberries
- Red and blue food coloring
- 2 1/2 tbsp non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp Jay Robb's vanilla whey protein
- Optional: Strawberries blueberries and sprinkles
- In a small bowl, mix Greek yogurt and 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder until smooth. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine all cake ingredients except strawberry, blueberries and food coloring. Divide the batter into two bowls.
- In one bowl, add blueberries and a couple drops of blue food coloring and mix well. In the other bowl, add a couple drops of red food coloring and mix well.
- Spray a microwave safe mug with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange the sliced strawberry at the bottom and cover with the red batter.
- Spray a second mug with non-stick cooking spray and add blueberry batter. Place both mugs in the microwave and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Plate the cakes and allow to cool for a minute. Add icing on top of one cake, then stack the other on top and ice the top cake. Top with sprinkles and more strawberries and blueberries, if desired.