- Get your fritter mix ready to go, but don’t make them just yet…
And just so you see the difference, here’s what the nutrition info looks like for the egg whites and turkey bacon option (I’m currently eating leftovers and went with this option since it’s faster anyways 🙂
Yield: 2 servings • Serving size: 2 fritters + 2 eggs • Calories per serving: 296 • Fat: 9 g • Protein: 27 g • Carbs: 25 g • Fiber: 3 g • Sugar: 8 g • Sodium: 677 mg • Cholesterol: 189 mg
- 1 cup grated zucchini, about 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 cup grated, peeled sweet potato
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 egg whites, save the yolks for the hollandaise sauce
- 1/4 cup whole wheat Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp Flavor God Garlic Lover’s seasoning
- 1/4 tsp each of black pepper and chili powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Hollandaise Sauce Ingredients (adapted from Neil’s Healthy Meals):
- 1/2 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 egg yolks, leftover from the fritters
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 poached eggs
- 4 slices Jones All Natural Uncured Canadian Bacon
- Optional: chopped chives for garnish
Get the Fritters Ready
- Place grated zucchini and sweet potato in a strainer and compress with a paper towel to squeeze out liquid. Remove from strainer and wrap in double layer of paper towels. Set aside to continue drawing out liquid.
- Toss together chopped onion, minced garlic, bread crumbs, black pepper and chili powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Make the Hollandaise
- Fill a small saucepan with about 1″ of water and heat until just simmering, when small bubbles begin to form around the pan. Lower heat to continue simmering.
- In a heat-safe bowl that fits over the small saucepan without touching the water, whisk together Greek yogurt, 2 egg yolks and vinegar. Place bowl over simmering water and continuously whisk for 12-15 minutes, or until hollandaise begins to thicken (be patient, it will thicken).
- Remove bowl from heat and whisk in Dijon mustard. Set aside.
Cook the Fritters
- Mix grated zucchini and sweet potato into bread crumb mixture, then mix in egg whites until well combined.
- Heat large shallow pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil and continue to heat until oil is hot. Form 4 patties out of zucchini mixture, then add to pan and flatten with a spatula. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until browned. Plate 2 fritters per plate and set aside.
- Heat Canadian Bacon over medium high heat until lightly browned and place one slice on top of each fritter.
- Poach eggs and add on top of Canadian Bacon, then gently spoon hollandaise sauce on top of eggs. Sprinkle with black pepper and chives.