Happy Saturday, friends! The black mission figs were looking mighty fine at the store last week so I had to make a couple of fig creations, including this incredible “Fig for a Queen” cocktail! I don’t know about you, but I don’t love eating figs on their own – but pair them up with other yummy foods or transform them into a delicious cocktail? I’m here for it! In this cocktail, I play off the earthy, sweet decadence of the black mission figs and paired it up with vanilla, which perfectly complements them. Just a note – I used vanilla extract here, but if you have fresh vanilla bean pods, that would taste amazing too! Just cut the pod in half, split it lengthwise with a knife, scrape out the paste, and add both the paste and half the pod to the syrup.
Whichever route you go with the vanilla – once you bring those flavors together in an easy homemade syrup and pair it up with vodka, Meyer lemon juice, and soda water, you end up with an unexpectedly rich and deep play on a vodka soda that’s perfect for fall. I served it with a sprig of rosemary for some added complexity as you sip. What can I say, I love herbs in my cocktails!
After you make the syrup and strain out the fig skins and seeds, it’s kind of a dull pink color. But don’t let it fool you! Once you mix it with the lemon juice it turns this bright pink, almost red color. No food coloring used here, I promise.
Here are some items I used to help make this recipe a success. Note: these are Amazon Affiliate links.
Fig for a Queen Cocktail
- 4-6 oz sparkling water (plain or Italian mineral water work well)
- 3 oz vodka
- 2 oz fig vanilla syrup (recipe in notes)
- 1 oz Meyer lemon juice
- rosemary sprigs (for garnish)
- additional sliced figs (for garnish)
Divide vodka, fig vanilla syrup, and Meyer lemon juice between 2 low- or high-ball glasses. Stir well, then top with plenty of ice and soda water. Garnish with a sliced fig and rosemary sprig before serving.
Fig Vanilla Syrup
- 5 black mission figs, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Directions: Add all ingredients except vanilla extract to a small pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower heat to a simmer for 5-10 minutes until figs are tender and pink flesh is easily mashed away from skin with a spoon. Strain with a fine mesh strainer, add vanilla extract, and set aside to cool. Yields about 4 fl oz of syrup.