Baby spinach adds some great color plus a bit of extra protein and nutrition. Chop it up a little before you throw it in so you don’t get any stringy spinach between your teeth as you devour it.
- 5 links Jennie-O Hot Italian Turkey Sausage
- 1 lb cubed butternut squash
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 small to medium zucchini, spiralized into noodles
- 3 cups roughly chopped baby spinach
- 6-8 leaves sage
- 3 tbsp olive oil for frying
- 1/2 tbsp Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread with Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp shaved Parmesan cheese
- Add butternut squash to large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 12-15 minutes or until squash is soft. Drain water and blend squash in a blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat until oil is shimmery. Add sage leaves and fry for about 1 minute, then remove to a paper towel while leaves are still green. Slice sage leaves into thin slices and set aside.
- Soak up most of the olive oil with a paper towel and discard. Add buttery spread and swirl around pan until it is melted. Add onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Remove sausage from casings and crumble into pan, breaking apart with a wooden spoon. Continue cooking and breaking apart sausage until it is mostly cooked through. Drain excess liquid.
- Add butternut squash, baby spinach, sliced sage leaves and Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Microwave zucchini noodles for 1 1/2 minutes, then add to a large bowl. Add squash and sausage mixture on top of the zucchini noodles, then garnish with remaining sage leaves and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.