Looking for a lightened up summer treat to share? These Blueberry Lemon Protein Cheesecake Bars are perfect! Instead of a classic graham cracker crust, I used oat flour with Greek yogurt, applesauce, and protein powder for a healthier option. If you think you’ll miss the crumby-ness of the cracker crust, add a teaspoon of baking powder to the crust mixture and it will rise to create air pockets, giving you some resulting crumbs! The cheesecake layer is made with Greek yogurt, cream cheese, and protein powder for a smooth and creamy texture with plenty of protein. I used both lemon zest and lemon extract in the cheesecake layer to ensure plenty of lemon flavor in every bite.
The blueberry swirl is what makes these bars so gorgeous, and of course – I love blueberries! Be sure to let the The blueberry swirl is what makes these bars so gorgeous, and of course – I love blueberries! Be sure to let the blueberry mixture cool down a bit before spooning it onto the cheesecake layer. I’d also caution you against adding more blueberries (as tempting as it may be), or else you’ll lose a lot of the white and blueberry swirled effect that you see here.
Here are some goodies I used to make this recipe. Note: these are Amazon Affiliate links.
Blueberry Lemon Protein Cheesecake Bars
- 1/2 cup oat flour (60 grams)
- 1/2 scoop Cellucor Whipped Vanilla Whey Protein (17 grams)
- 1/2 scoop Dymatize Elite Smooth Vanilla Casein Protein (17 grams)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (68 grams)
- 2 tbsp PB2 powdered peanut butter (13 grams)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla Greek Yogurt (4 fl oz)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (81 grams)
- 1/4 cup melted butter (2 oz)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Fage 0% Plain Greek yogurt (6 fl oz)
- 2/3 cup Chobani Blended Vanilla Greek Yogurt (6 fl oz)
- 2/3 cup Philadelphia 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese, softened (6 oz)
- 3 small egg whites (102 grams)
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 tsp lemon extract
- 3/4 scoop Cellucor Whipped Vanilla Whey Protein (26 grams)
- 3/4 scoop Dymatize Elite Smooth Vanilla Casein Protein (26 grams)
- 1/4 cup sugar (48 grams)
Blueberry Swirl Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup blueberries (105 grams)
- 2 tbsp sugar (24 grams)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cornstarch (3 grams)
Pre-heat oven to 325°. Line a rimmed 9"x13" baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
In a small saucepan, bring blueberries, lemon juice, and 2 tbsp sugar to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower heat to continue simmering blueberries for 5 more minutes until blueberries have burst. Whisk cornstarch into water, then whisk into blueberries and return to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside in refrigerator.
Mix dry crust ingredients, then stir in wet ingredients except egg. Once combined, add egg and whisk until smooth. Pour into lined baking sheet and spread evenly. Set aside.
To a large bowl or stand mixer, add the Greek yogurts and cream cheese for the cheesecake layer. Add sugar and protein powders on top, then starting on low speed using a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix until powders are mostly incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and blend until smooth. Add lemon extract, lemon zest, and egg whites, then continue mixing until smooth, ensuring you don't lose any lemon zest to the mixer attachments (it sticks).
Pour cheesecake mixture over crust and spread evenly. Add blueberry mixture on top of cheesecake by the spoonful, then swirl with a knife.
Bake at 325° for 25 minutes, or until edges are just golden brown and center of cheesecake barely jiggles when bumped. Allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate at least 4 hours before cutting.
Click here or scan the barcode below to log this food in My Fitness Pal.