Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there! I’ve been really getting into fancy toast lately, and I’m betting that the dad(s) in your life would absolutely love this Blackberry Prosciutto Toast like I did. The salty/sweet combo of blackberry jam and prosciutto rest atop a bed of whipped ricotta cheese and topped with fresh basil and just a drizzle of honey. I used a nice thick slice of whole grain bread, toasted in a skillet with a bit of butter as the base. So. Freaking. Good.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Bread – I recommend using a hearty bread to serve as the base of this fancy toast. You need something that will hold up to all the toppings without getting soggy or crumbling under the weight of all the goodies. I used a 7 grain bread, which had a slight sweetness and was perfect here. You could also opt for a slice of sourdough if you prefer.
- Ricotta cheese – you could just spread the ricotta cheese right on the toast to save time, but I like to whip it up first to make it extra smooth and creamy. Whole milk ricotta or part skim will work just fine.
- Blackberry jam – I prefer a blackberry jam with no seeds, but use whatever kind you like.
- Prosciutto – Here’s where the salt in the recipe comes in! Prosciutto is an Italian cured ham made from high quality pork legs. I love love love prosciutto, but if you wanted to substitute it, you could use another cured, thinly sliced meat like Serrano ham or capicola. Just avoid anything that’s crusted in spices since it will interfere with the sweet/salty flavor combo of your toast.
- Fresh basil – the fresh basil on top is key to bringing a brightness to the toast while complementing the tanginess of the blackberry jam. Don’t skip it!
- Honey (optional) – the toast is sweet enough without it, but I really loved the way the honey brought things together and contrasted so nicely with the prosciutto.
These are some items I used to help make this recipe a success. Note: these are Amazon Affiliate links.
Blackberry Prosciutto Toast
- 3 1" slices Wegmans 7 Grain Bread (171 grams)
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp blackberry jam
- 2 slices prosciutto, torn into pieces
- 3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Optional: honey for drizzling on top
Lightly butter toast on both sides, then toast in a skillet until lightly golden brown on both sides, about 1-2 minutes per side. Set aside to cool slightly.
Add ricotta cheese to a medium bowl and whisk until smooth (I like using my Braun MultiQuick with Whisk attachment for this!). Divide whipped ricotta among 3 slices of toast and spread evenly.
Add blackberry jam on top of whipped ricotta. If the jam is not very spreadable coming out of the jar, you can break it up with a spoon or whisk in a bit of water so it can spread easily over top of the ricotta.
Layer the prosciutto on top of the blackberry jam, then top with fresh basil.
Optional: Add fresh blackberries and a drizzle of honey before serving.
Click here or scan the barcode below to log this food in My Fitness Pal.