Oh, what’s up breakfast for dinner? Maybe I “accidentally” forgot to thaw enough mahi fillets when I was meal prepping to be able to eat real dinner food for dinner last night. Never to fear! Pancakes are here 🙂 I really don’t feel bad since I missed out on pancake Sunday this week. Sorry I didn’t even bother taking pictures of my meal prep this week…it wasn’t incredibly exciting. Or impressive. Plus I had to hurry up and make pancakes before bedtime snuck up on me!
Ok, so pancakes – is there anybody out there who’s favorite cake is black forest? Chocolate and cherries? Chocolate covered cherries? Bueller?
It’s actually not my favorite, I’m just curious. Black forest is a cake that kind of falls by the wayside for me…I’d rather have some peanut buttery concoction. Or red velvet. Or carrot cake. But when I’m making breakfast (or breakfast for dinner), I want (read: need) some fruit in my life! Cherries aren’t my typical breakfast fruit, so of course I decided I should try it out. The results are delicious! And this kind of looks like a sundae with a cherry on top right? Welp, that’s sort of what it tasted like. If you had any notions of skipping out on the yogurt/protein mixture on top – DON’T DO IT. Trust me. The creamy sweetness brings together the rich chocolatey taste of the fluffy pancakes and the tart sweetness of the cherries.
The pictures are not quite as delicious looking as real life with this stack. I neglected to put all of the cherry “syrup” on top for the photo op since I thought it would overpower the glamour of the pancakes. Did I mention I was in a hurry to eat?
Seriously though – the cherry syrup/sauce concoction was delicious and I’m sorry I didn’t show you more of it. Here’s a consolation prize:
Like how bad my iPhone pics are compared to my real ass camera? You’re welcome for that little demonstration 🙂
Black Forest Protein Pancakes
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 scoop Cellucor S'mores whey protein
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sweet cherries halved and pitted, or more!
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp packets Truvia or 1 honey
- 2 tbsp Dannon Light and Fit Non-Fat Vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp Cellucor Whipped Vanilla whey protein
- Optional: Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat and add cherries, water and Truvia. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and continue cooking until the cherries are tender and the liquid has thickened slightly, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt and 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder until smooth. Set aside.
- In a food processor or Nutribullet, mill the oats until they form a fine powder.
- Mix all pancake ingredients until smooth.
- Heat a large saucepan or griddle over medium heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and spoon pancake mixture onto griddle to form 3-4 pancakes. Cook until the top begins to bubble or edges are cooked, then flip and cook through.
- Plate pancakes and top with cherry topping. Top with Greek yogurt and chocolate chips.
I maybe used closer to 1 cup of cherries than 1/2 cup. But do what you feel is right. And if you feel like adding a tbsp of honey instead of Truvia, just do it. I tried to keep the macros under better control in this recipe than I did when I made Peach Crisp Protein Pancakes 🙂
Nicky Corbishley says
Gulp! They look dreamy. I've just eaten my dinner and cake, yet somehow I feel I could fit a few of these in 🙂 Pinned!
Go for it!! 🙂