***Updated July 7th, 2018***
Looking for some ice cream to cool down for summer or just enjoy with a movie? Well, if you’re skipping out on making your own ice cream (like this one or this one) and are opting for your local freezer aisle instead, here’s a breakdown of the protein/light/healthier ice creams you might find there! I decided to try to compare all the chocolate flavors against each other since that’s the gold standard in my book. I could have gone vanilla, but that wouldn’t have been as much fun for me 🙂 Of course, some brands don’t do regular old chocolate, so I went with what I could find or whatever I thought might be closest to the classic.
With my latest update to this post, I added some ice creams that are just lighter or healthier (but not necessarily protein-packed). Because they’re not all specifically protein ice creams, I decided to rank them based primarily off of taste and texture. If two brands were tied, I ranked them based on protein content. Hopefully this helps you decide which one to try next!
Here’s the link to get to the full spread sheet for easy comparing – you can also get to each product’s spreadsheet by clicking on any of the snippets from the spreadsheet under each picture. Side note – the prices listed here may vary by your location or store you buy it in. These are just the suggested retail prices.
Quick rundown of different colors you’ll see below:
- Light blue box on the spreadsheet means that a brand won out in that category.
- Yellow (on the macro ratio) indicates carb content.
- Blue (on the macro ratio) indicates protein content.
- Green (on the macro ratio) indicates fat content.
1.Eat Enlightened – Chocolate
2. Halo Top Frozen Dessert – Chocolate
7. Forte Gelato – Chocolate
8. ProYo – Dutch Chocolate
9. Halo Top Dairy Free Frozen Dessert – Pancake & Waffles
10. Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt – Chocolate PB & Yay 11. Slim Twin Organic Ice Cream – Chocolate12. Arctic Zero – Purely Chocolate
13. Thrive Ice Cream – Simply Chocolate