Nom. Nom nom nom. Nom nom. Happy Fat Tuesday.
So the first time I ever had this kind of sweet and savory breakfast sandwich was at a Jack in the Box in Reno, Nevada just before hitting the slopes before a day of snowboarding. I was so obsessed with it that I nearly turned back on the drive up the mountain after scarfing down the first one…honestly, it’s probably a good thing I didn’t because the first one made me a little sick. I’m not used to eating greasy fast food for breakfast but damn…it was tasty. Now it’s two or three years later, and I’ve finally recreated that masterpiece with healthier ingredients and an extra boost of protein (of course).
Don’t mind the fact that my sausage patty is slightly too small for this breakfast sandwich…you can make your own breakfast sausage using recipes like this one from PaleOMG or this one from Skinny Ms. I bought my Turkey Breakfast Sausages right out of the freezer section at the grocery store thanks to some guy named Jimmy Dean, knowing full-well that there were some not-so-appealing ingredients in them. They taste good, but if you want a healthier, more natural option, check out these Applegate turkey breakfast sausages. Okay, okay…enough about sausages. Let’s talk about the sandwich as a whole!
Look how fluffy those pancakes are! This is my favorite simple protein pancake recipe…they taste so good on their own and soak up the maple syrup like a champ. I added on a slice of Sergento Ultra Thin Sharp Cheddar for good measure. You can make yours more melty than this, I just thought it looked kinda cool hanging out the way it was. And the final layer…the egg. Cook it however you like! I got a little fancy with mine and used some egg rings to get that nice round shape.
Pancake Breakfast Sandwich Griddlers
- 3 Jimmy Dean Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 3 slices Sargento Ultra Thin Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- Mix all dry pancake ingredients, then add wet ingredients and mix until combined. Heat a pan or griddle over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick cooking oil.
- Pour pancake batter onto griddle to form six 3-inch round pancakes (you may need to do it in 2 or 3 batches). Once top of pancakes begin to bubble and pop, flip and cook other side until cooked through. Set aside on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Heat turkey sausage patties on griddle or pan until hot (or cooked through, if you are using raw sausage). Set aside.
- Cook eggs as desired – I whisked mine and poured them into egg rings in the hot pan.
- Once eggs are almost completely cooked, remove egg ring and add slices of cheese on top to melt.
- Assemble breakfast sandwiches with a pancake, egg, cheese, sausage and another pancake. Top with 1/2 tbsp maple syrup before serving.
I recently redid the photos for this recipe and used soft scrambled eggs instead of the egg white mixture. The nutrition info reflects the original recipe, not the soft scrambled eggs.
You can even throw any leftovers in the freezer! I just wrapped them up tightly in foil (sans maple syrup) and then stuck them in a sealable plastic bag with all the air sucked out. Heat ’em up in the microwave (or skillet) when you’re ready to eat.