Here’s an appetizer that’s perfect for game day or your New Year’s Eve party that will have your friends coming back for more. Your Paleo/Crossfit friends will be stoked that you made something they can eat without their coach yelling at them and your other friends will just be pumped to have some delicious crab dip on the table. I’ve actually already made 3 batches of this recipe! One for the pictures you see here that I later took to work (where it was very quickly demolished), one for Christmas Eve and one for Christmas Day.
I used real lump crab meat from the refrigerated seafood section of the grocery store, but you can use imitation crab if you’re worried about food allergies at your party. I just think the real thing tastes better!
I should also disclose to you that the serving dish you see here only held about 1/3 of the recipe…a 9″ pie dish holds the entire recipe perfectly, but you can easily split it up into more than one baking dish so that everyone has easy access for dipping.
I served the dip with garlic plantain chips to keep things Paleo (and gluten free), but you can use whatever cracker or chip suits your dietary preferences. Enjoy!
Paleo Spinach and Artichoke Crab Dip
Yield: 18 servings (Approx. 4 1/2 cups) • Calories per 1/4 cup serving: 103 • Fat: 9 g • Protein: 4 g • Carbs: 4 g • Fiber: 1 g • Sugar: 1 g • Sodium: 168 mg • Cholesterol: 22 mg
- 8 oz wild caught lump crab meat
- 15 oz can coconut milk
- 14 oz can marinated artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped (remove any hard chunks)
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess moisture
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup Primal Kitchens Paleo Mayo
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp ghee, divided
- 1 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp Flavor God Spicy Everything Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Flavor God Garlic Lover’s Seasoning
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tsp cold ghee with almond flour, 1 clove minced garlic, and Flavor God Garlic. Mash together with a fork until very small crumbles form (about 1/8″). Set aside in refrigerator.
- In a large skillet, melt 1/2 tbsp ghee over medium-high heat. Add shallots and peppers and sauté until soft. Set aside.
- Melt remaining ghee in skillet, then add artichokes, crab and remaining garlic. Sauté for about 1 minute, then add all but 1/4 cup of coconut milk, lemon juice, and mayo. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer.
- Whisk arrowroot flour into reserved coconut milk until smooth. Add to skillet and mix well, then add spinach, peppers, shallots, and Flavor God Spicy and mix until combined.
- Simmer dip for 3-5 more minutes until thickened slightly. Pour into oven safe serving dish and top with almond flour crumbles.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until dip is bubbly and almond flour topping is golden brown. Serve with plantain chips or veggies.