If you saw my last post (4 Day Meal Prep), you know I’m loving these pitas because they’re so refreshing! This is a healthy chicken pita with a little bit of a Mediterranean flavor, but not too much. I usually find Mediterranean flavors to be a little bit overpowering, but maybe I just haven’t found the right dish yet. But for this, the earthy flavor of hummus plus the creaminess of the Greek yogurt mixed in with some fresh veggies and grilled chicken is a winner.
This is a really simple combination, but I think the key to bringing out the right flavor is actually the rosemary and lemon that I used on the chicken. It might have been even better with fresh rosemary, but I used the kind you get in the spice aisle.
Mediterranean Chicken Pitas
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 2 small tomatoes diced
- 1 small cucumber diced
- 6 tbsp plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 6 tbsp hummus I used the roasted red pepper kind
- 6 Trader Joe's whole wheat pitas
- Salt and pepper
- In a large plastic bag, shake the chicken to coat it with olive oil, lemon and rosemary. Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the chicken until cooked through (a little less than 5 minutes per chicken breast on the George Foreman). Cut the chicken into strips.
- On each pita half, spread about 1 tbsp of hummus on the thicker side. Add cucumber, tomato and chicken.
- Top with 1 tbsp of Greek yogurt and serve.